3. THE BEAR RAID
Excited because . . . The Bears' uptempo, spread option attack - even while evolving in its early development - promises to be entertaining. Everyone who complained about how conservative the Bears seem to have become in recent seasons should celebrate this departure. Especially when Dykes and offensive coordinator Tony Franklin go for it for the first time on fourth down from midfield. And they will.
Worried because . . . We don't have a clue about how well the new offense might work immediately out of the chute? Does Cal have the necessary personnel to make it go? Can the Bears block well enough, especially in the running game? Will the young receivers deliver? Can tight end Richard Rodgers, having dropped 25 pounds, find a new home as the "Y" slot receiver? There are a lot of moving parts and they will need to move in unison and at a fast tempo.
Let's revisit the topic of fourth-down conversions in today's poll, but was anyone expecting 2013 to be anything but a mix of things being perfectly fine and doom?
Women's Swimming and Diving
- Missy Franklin wants to make sure she's golden by winning the gold in the 200-meter backstroke--her fifth gold at the FINA World Championships
Men's Swimming and Diving
- After winning the gold in the event at the 2012 Olympics, Nathan Adrian placed third for the bronze in the 100-meter freestyle in Barcelona
- Adrian and Anthony Ervin placed fourth and sixth, respectively, in the 50-meter freestyle
Women's Water Polo
- A look at the Bears' trip to the 2013 World University Gamers, where they represented America
- Incoming freshman Roser Tarrago scored a goal in Spain's gold-medal match at the FINA World Championships
- Continuing the theme of good and bad, Joël Statler will continue play at the Mylan Classic, but Max Homa was unable to make the cut
- Kate Dykes hosted the inaugural Pigskin and Pearls Women's Football Clinic and Banquet, the spiritual successor to the Women's Huddle
- College Football News has released their All–Redshirt Freshman Preseason team for 2013, featuring Zach Kline throwing passes to Kenny Lawler
- ESPN and Ted Miller looks at our under-the-radar player, cornerback Stefan McClure (who looks an awful lot like Keenan Allen in that picture...)
- Uncle Ted is also winding down his preseason position reviews with the safeties
- The Hawk Lavelle Hawkins is coming back to the Bay to join Nnamdi as 49ers
- Five-star running back Joe Mixon has Cal in his top-ten list
- A conversation with a senior producer of The Drive, a series that will take you into the Cal football program
- Keenan Allen has been impressing his coaches with his skill and his work ethic