Today, we're going to practice tempo in a different way.
This practice report is going to go fast.
Bear Raid fast.
But only because nothing really happened Sunday afternoon.
We'll get to that.
- A day after their scrimmage, the team held a light practice that lasted for only an hour and a half, in which very little of significance happened. It contained all of the same segments - special teams, stretching, special teams, position drills, and so forth - but all of them were reduced in time and intensity. The tempo and pace of practice was noticeably down as well. Monday will likely be more eventful, since the players essentially had a rest day yesterday.
- Following practice, the team went bowling. By all accounts, they seemed to have a good time.
My bro Tandy out here with the size 20 bowling shoes on. pic.twitter.com/WgfUr5liGY— Trigga (@BryceTreggs) August 19, 2013
- Injured starters Nick Forbes and Khairi Fortt all practiced on Sunday, although the two linebackers mostly ran with the second unit. Kam Jackson was held out of Saturday's scrimmage, but also returned.
- Nathan Broussard was confirmed to have an ACL injury after practice, and will have surgery within the next two weeks.
- And the news gets worse for the linebacking corps, which is losing David Wilkerson to transfer. Before fall camp, it was expected that this unit would perhaps have too many quality players to rotate between - but with Wilkerson's transfer, Broussard's injury, Jason Gibson's move to safety, and the nagging injuries that Forbes and Fortt are dealing with, this position group is starting to look a little thin. There's still a solid two deep between Forbes, Fortt, Jefferson, Nickerson, Ragin and Barton, but six is a long way down from eight or nine.
- Special teams got an extra amount of focus during this practice, with the team spending time on returning, coverage, and onside kick recovery not once - but twice.
- While Zach Kline works with the twos, it should be noted that he is developing a very nice chemistry with Kenny Lawler - Lawler had a big day with Kline throwing to him on Saturday, and essentially repeated his performance again on Sunday. Definitely Kline's preferred target on the second unit.
- Adrian Lee and Jacobi Hunter were spotted in the "Pit" Sunday afternoon - the sideline area that houses injured players. Coach Dykes said that Lee was just getting a day off after a heavy workload on Saturday, while Jacobi has a shoulder injury that shouldn't keep him out too long.
- Maurice Harris' x-ray results showed that he is healing, or close to healed, but the team will continue to bring him along just to make sure.
- But really. Nothing of too much value really happened at yesterday's practice. Sorry guys. This isn't just me being lazy, I swear. I'll compete and fly around a bit more today.