UC Berkeley is one of the few universities in the nation with such a great blend of academics and athletics. The Glenn T. Seaborg award personifies this balance as it is named for one of our greatest scientists (of the greatest chemistry department in the nation), but awarded to "a former Cal football player for his career accomplishments who represents the honored Cal principles and traditions of excellence in academics, athletics, leadership and attitude." In 2013, Mike White received this honor.
White lettered in football, rugby and track & field at Cal from 1955-58. Playing as member of the football team under coaches Pappy Waldorf and Pete Elliott, he was a wide receiver for the Bears and served as team captain as a senior. On the track, he once won three different events in the Big Meet vs. Stanford, while he was team captain of the rugby team his final year. White received the Circle C Athlete of the Year honor in 1955-56. He earned his degree in business administration and was the baccalaureate speaker at graduation ceremonies in 1958.
"Mike White is a wonderful Californian and an outstanding person to receive the Glenn Seaborg Award and honor," said Jack Hart, chair of the Seaborg Award Board of Directors. "Dr. Seaborg would be pleased. Mike achieved success at the highest level in his coaching experiences, both college and the NFL, and you could make a strong case he coached maybe the best team in Cal's famed football history."
The other reason Seaborg is the perfect man to be the namesake for this award? His name is an anagram for "Go Bears!"
Women's Swimming and Diving
- Taking a look at second-generation Bear, wide receiver Jackson Bouza
- Fighting for a spot on the Broncos roster, CJ Anderson may have had an eye-opening performance in a preseason game against the Niners
- Alum Tarik Glen talked to the team to remind them how special of a situation they are in
- Cutting out the Red Vines may be the secret to football superstardom, at least for Richard Rodgers
- Could Goff and Kline be making a move for the role of starter?
- Offensive guru-schmoffensive-schmuru. Is the defense outperforming the offense? Is it time to fire Dykes yet?