Zack Rosenblatt of the Arizona Daily Star managed to procure some awesome quotes from Sonny at Pac-12 Media Day. One interesting one is who now owns Jeff Tedford's impressive mansion.
Two or three reporters sat around the same table as Dykes chatted with two showbiz people.
One of them told Dykes about how he worked on "Moneyball," the Academy Award-nominated film that was partially shot on the same Sony lot.
Fun fact, Dykes told him, Billy Beane - the Oakland A's general manager on which "Moneyball" was based - bought Jeff Tedford's old house.
Also what does Sonny do for fun with players like Bryce Treggs and Nick Forbes?
In the spring, receiver Bryce Treggs and Forbes went to a charity event with Dykes. Afterward, they went to his house and were just "hanging around in his basement," Forbes said.
"I was like, man, this is the head coach, this is the guy. We're just hanging out, talking ball."
"With our feet up, just chillin'," interjected Treggs.
"Yeah," Forbes said, "and afterward, Mrs. Dykes (Sonny's wife, Kate) said, 'We've got a full fridge and a pool table downstairs. You guys can come all the time. I was like, 'What?'"
Also, some swimming updates: Natalie Coughlin and Missy Franklin--Golden Bears of the past and future--carried Team USA to the gold in the 4x100-meter freestyle at the World Championships this weekend.
Franklin, California's incoming freshman, led off the relay and Golden Bear alumna Coughlin swam the second leg for the U.S., which clocked an American-record time of 3:32.31 in the final.
In the relay, the United States edged second-place Australia by 12 hundredths of a second, after the Aussies led the race much of the way.
They weren't the only Bears brandishing bling on Sunday--former Bear Lauren Boyle won the bronze in the 400-meter freestyle. For the results of the other Bears in the pool, like Nathan Adrian and Dana Vollmer, check the links below!
Swimming and Diving
- Nathan Adrian and Anthony Ervin propelled Team USA to the silver in the 400 free relay
- Dana Vollmer earned the bronze in the 100-meter butterfly and Caitlin Leverenz placed fifth in the 200-meter individual medley. Current Bears Stephanie Au and Yvette Kong swam for Hong Kong, but did not make the semifinals.
- Bringing in some international flair, there were Bears on the teams for USA, Australia, Azerbaijan, and Great Britain at the U-23 World Rowing Championships
- Former Bears Josh Satin and Tyson Ross have been gaining some recognition as they play in the MLB for the Mets and the Padres
- Still hungry for Pac-12 Media Day coverage? Consider this Cal Cribs (how's that for a timely reference?) as we check in with the Danville house of Coach Tedford and how impressive Bryce Treggs thinks Casa de Dykes is.
- Contrasting the Yay Area teams and the representatives they brought to the Pac-12 Media Day
- No days off for Dykes as he moves from Pac-12 Media Day to Bay Area Media Day, bringing Stefan McClure and Freddie Tagaloa
- Head Coaches Sonny Dykes, David Shaw (Stanfurd), and Ron Caragher (SJSU) discuss their programs on Yahoo! Sports Talk Live
- Good ole Uncle Ted previews our linebackers
- A look at defensive end Chris McCain, who has overcome academic issues and an injury that has been plaguing him since high school
- Um...awkward... Find out what Dykes talks to Tedford about when they call. Do you think they use free weekend minutes or are they in-network?