Anthony Gruppuso-US PRESSWIRE
With the home games moving into Memorial Stadium, apparently there are online streams of these home games for Cal lacrosse this season. GO BEARS!
Cal Lacrosse (0-2, 0-0 in MPSF) vs. St. Mary (1-2, 0-1 in MPSF)
When: 4 PM PT
Where: Memorial Stadium (Berkeley, CA)
Live Video: Pac-12 Digital
Live Stat: Gametracker
After dropping two games on an East Coast trip (to James Madison and University of Maryland Baltimore County...which I personally feel a little bit bad that I didn't go out of my way a bit to go support the team in person given prior commitments), the Bears return home for a 4 game homestand. With the renovation of Memorial Stadium complete, the Bears are now back to play their home games there, after two seasons at the Wittier Rugby Field.
Against the St. Mary Gaels, the Bears hold an all time 20-1 record.
Some more info about this year's team via CalBears.com:
A Look at the 2013 Golden Bears
• Cal dropped its first two contests of 2013 - an 11-5 loss at James Madison and a 7-5 loss at UMBC. Despite suffering the two losses, the Bears still played strong defensively, keeping the games close until the end.
• Leading the way with Cal's strong defensive front last week was junior goalie Megan McGinnis who registered a combined 17 saves last week.
• 2012 MPSF Player of the Year Megan Takacs was kept off the scoresheet last week, but she still paced Cal in shots (14) and draw controls (5).
• Paige Gasparino is Cal's leading scorer through the first two contests with three goals and an assist good for four points. She scored twice against UMBC.
• Paige's sister, true freshman Brynn Gasparino, netted her first collegiate goal, which was also Cal's first goal of 2013.
• Melissa Humphrey notched her 50th career goal against James Madison.
• Ginger Miles continues her second season as head coach at Cal. She previously coached Claremont-Mudd-Scripps for two seasons, leading CMS to NCAA Tournament second-round appearances both years.
• Miles' 2013 staff includes the return of assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Allison Comito, an erstwhile NCAA champion and All-American at Maryland, and first-year assistant Lauren Schmidt, a former Stanford All-American who started all four years on The Farm and competed in two NCAA Tournaments with the Cardinal.
I certainly wasn't aware that we had the reigning MPSF Play of the Year (nor do I really know much about Lacrosse, although I did go to the Cal victory over George Mason in northern Virginia few years ago). Women's Lacrosse was one of the sports that was on the chopping block few years ago. Although it did get saved among the first wave of reinstatement, I am not sure our Lacrosse recruiting did not suffer for an year (not to mention the transfers).
Also available via online stream is the Bears' next game: at home on Sunday March 10th at 2PM PT vs. UC Davis.