Lane Kiffin needs some help with the USC offense. Is Jeff Tedford the right man for the job? National Football Post thinks so.
Dave Miller of National Football Post has an interesting suggestion for Lane Kiffin: hire Jeff Tedford as the new offensive coordinator. Kiffin recently dismissed offensive coordinator Kennedy Polamalu and may be reluctant to call plays after last season's disaster. Will Tedford entertain the idea of joining the Dark Side?
Kiffin was criticized throughout the season for his handling of the offense, and rightfully so. There was too much talent on the offensive side of the football for 'SC to finish with six losses. Simply put, it was inexcusable.
Despite the rough end to his long tenure in Berkeley, Tedford is an accomplished offensive mind who also happens to be a Los Angeles native. He also knows the Pac-12 inside and out, having been a longtime head coach in the league. Additionally, he has a history with Kiffin, as the 'SC head coach was a reserve quarterback at Fresno State when Tedford was the Bulldogs' offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Kiffin even relinquished his fifth season of playing eligibility to become a student assistant under Tedford at the age of 22.
Tedford was one of Kiffin's mentors. And never before has a student needed extra guidance.
Simply put, a Kiffin-Tedford reunion could be the jolt the 'SC offense needs, especially with youth under center now that Barkley is moving onto the NFL. Tedford's veteran presence could be invaluable to Wittek, Max Browne and the other QBs on the roster.
Ceding play-calling duties to someone else could also free up Kiffin to do what a head coach is supposed to do: be more of an executive who oversees the entire operation.
It seems like a good idea for Kiffin to worry a little less about handling the quarterback position and the star wide receivers while paying more attention to the team as a whole. Because while athletic director Pat Haden continues to back his head coach, 2013 is unquestionably stacking up to be a crucial year for Kiffin's future in L.A.
It certainly would be interesting to see Tedford and Pendergast leading another team, but I would rather not have to root against Coach Tedford.
Before you read anything else, check out this story on Cal grad Daniela Holmqvist. During an LPGA qualifying match in Australia she was bitten by a redback, a close relative to the black widow. Rather than succumb to her injury, she used a tee to open the wound and drain the poison. She finished the remaining 14 holes. That is beast mode.
- Cal will hold its Pro Timing day at Memorial Stadium at 10am on Pi Day, March 14th. Fans are welcome to attend.
- Jon Wilner looks over Tedford's buyout agreement and wonders if it implies he is interested in getting back into coaching in the near future.
- Wilner may be right, as Tedford said he is interested in getting back into coaching after this upcoming season. Faraudo has an extensive interview with Tedford in which he talks about his side of the story on being fired.
- Sandy Barbour responds to several of the issues Tedford raised in his interview. She sheds light into administrative factors of the program--the role they played in Tedford's firing, assistant salary issues, and the importance of academics for the football program.
- The Bears used a stellar first half to run away from the Bruins en route to a 76-63 victory.
- Faraudo's game thread follows the St. Valentine's Day massacre as it unfolded.
- Nike's Air Jordan XX8 shoes made their debut at the Cal-UCLA game. Fortunately they weren't as hideous on television as they were in that photo. Allen Crabbe talks to CalBears.com about the shoes. He says they are very comfortable despite their...unique appearance.
- The Bears rise to second in Wilner's Bay Area basketball rankings.
- Coach Nancy McDaniel was not surprised by Dana Holmqvist's decision to power through the spider bite.
- Cal grad Sofie Aagaard has been hired as an assistant coach for the women's team.
- All three members of the Bears' recruiting class have been named to Volleyball Magazine's "Fab 50" list.
Should Jeff Tedford join Lane Kiffin at USC?
Yes (24 votes)
No (8 votes)
NO (15 votes)
OH HELL NO! (99 votes)
146 total votes