When the glorious Golden Bears and the vile Stanfurd Cardinal face off to start Pac-12 play, these two different programs will have one thing in common: injury-ravaged backcourts.
Cal's injuries [to Ricky Kreklow and Jabari Bird] will give freshman guards Jordan Mathews and Sam Singer more playing time. Senior Jeff Powers will get the chance to build on a surprise performance Saturday, when he made six 3-pointers against Furman.
Mostly, the Bears will lean on senior point guard Justin Cobbs, who must find offense for himself and his teammates.
"He needs to be a scorer for us," Montgomery said. "But it can't be one or the other way -- it's got to be both, like a good guard should do."
Meanwhile, ESPN has begun evaluating our NFL hopefuls. Unfortunately, no Cal players are listed among the top six at their position, even including senior vs. non-senior status. This includes TE Richard Rodgers, who recently declared he would enter the draft in lieu of finishing his senior year at Cal. DL Deandre Coleman was listed as the 16th best DT and the 176th best prospect overall with a grade of 47/100.
- Tierra Rogers is using her life lessons in perseverance to teach and inspire kids as a coach
- Gennifer Brandon has resumed work in team activities
- No. 23/22 Cal defeated Lafayette in our final non-conference game
- DL Deandre Coleman will represent Cal in the East-West Shrine Game
And very impressive showings all around for the Bears in the Pros; there will be 15 Golden Bears participating in the NFL Playoffs
- WR Marvin Jones had a TD catch against the Ravens, but after watching him play at Cal, I expect these kinds of plays from him.
— NFL (@nfl) December 29, 2013
- QB Aaron Rodgers returned to the field by saving the day with a game-winning TD (at the expense of S Chris Conte...)
- TE Tony Gonzalez's great career has come to an end.
— Cal Football (@CalFootball) December 29, 2013
(The formatting really got screwed up here at the bottom because our story editor sucks... Half-hearted apologies to all of you.)
- Cal Bears in the NFL: Tony Gonzalez & Nnamdi Asomugha end exemplary careers
- Joe Mixon will not pick Cal; the impact on Tre Watson's recruitment
- Jeff Tedford an NFL offensive coordinator? Tosh Lupoi to oblivion, Bob Gregory to UW
- This week in the Pac-12: Non-con wrap up
- What are your favorite Cal memories of 2013?