In a recurring trend for this offseason, I'll describe a defensive recruit as being critical since that position group is so thin. This week--defensive end! Jonathan Johnson, who was previously committed to ASU, will complete his AA and start practicing this spring.
"They'll be playing me at weakside rusher and I'm excited about how'd they'll be using me there."
"Jonathan's a very quick and aggressive pass rusher," said Pierce assistant coach Mike Hill. "Coming out of junior college, he's only going to get stronger and faster in a program like Cal, where he'll get in a good strength and conditioning program and put on good weight."
Beyond his play, it's important to see if the league's Defensive Player of the Year will succeed at Cal academically.
"Jonathan's kind of typical of many JC players," said Hill. "In high school, he didn't take things seriously and wasn't a qualifier so he went to Snow College in Utah. Then he ended up transferring to Pierce and injured his knee last season so he got a medical redshirt.
"In high school, I only had a 1.7 gpa and didn't really take it seriously," said Johnson. "To come from that to having an opportunity to play at the number one public school in the country is an incredible opportunity to do something special. So I was able to use football to help me accomplish what I want in life."
Johnson is wrapping up his AA this month and currently has a 2.7 gpa at Pierce.
I'm glad to see Johnson get a second chance academically now that he's taking it seriously.
- Max Homa and Michael Kim in 6th and 56th place, respectively, at the Web.com Tour Qualifying Tournament, which earned Homa an exemption to play on the 2014 tournament
- Joan Caloiaro and Christina Higgins earned AVCA honorable mention and second-team All-American honors, respectively
- Emi Lawson was named to the NSCAA Scholar All-America second team
- The All-Time US Women's National Team's Best XI features three Golden Bears: Joy Fawcett, Brandi Chastain, and (of course) Alex Morgan
Men's Water Polo
- The Play is one of the old-timey sports moments that would have destroyed the internet
- The Packers desperately need Aaron Rodgers back in the game, but he's not medically cleared
- Zach Kline the Oregon State Beaver: Not quite what we expected
- Cal football recruiting Q&A: A 1403 word chat with Ryan Gorcey
- University of Washington Defensive Line Coach Tosh Lupoi Under Investigation For Recruiting Violations
- Sonny Dykes on Transfers, Early Departures to the NFL, Recruiting Goals, and Staff Changes