No.4 Cal Men's Water Polo (8-2) vs. No.3 Pacific (9-1, 1-0)
Pacific, Spieker Aquatics Complex, Berkeley, Calif. 10:30 a.m.
TV: Pac-12 Networks
Making their 2013 Pac-12 Networks debut, Cal Men's Water Polo face a tough opponent in the Pacific Tigers in a MPSF tilt. Pacific was able to defeat then No.3 Furd last weekend 14-12.
Bears's two losses of the season come against No.1 UCLA (5-6) and No.4 Furd (10-12). Bears are led by senior Collin Smith and 2012 London Calympian Aleksa Saponjic (only non-US Calympian to medal that Olympics).
Smith Standout: Cal senior attacker Collin Smith was stellar last season, leading the Bears in both scoring and assists, while also tallying 31 steals, 11 ejections earned and 10 field blocks. Smith, who was elected 2013 team captain by his teammates, has been a major contributor for Cal ever since his freshman year in 2010 and was a 2011 honorable mention All-American. He joins fellow senior Giacomo Cupido as the only two Bears on the current squad who competed in the 2010 national title match in which Cal dropped a 12-10 overtime decision to USC. Smith currently has 120 career goals, 76 assists, 79 steals, 25 ejections earned and 22 field blocks.
More from California Golden Blogs:
- Cal Volleyball down UCLA in straight sets for first time in School History (highlights)
- Alex Logan retires from football
- Cal Women's Soccer stay undefeated with 2-1 win over ASU (highlights)
- Washington State @ California 2013: Q & A with CougCenter
- Before the raid: previewing the Washington State defense