We're learning. That's the thing. We're a team that hasn't put a solid football game together all year. As I said earlier, I thought defensively we played well enough to have a chance to win the ballgame, but offensively we just struggled to execute basic plays. UCLA runs well defensively. That's their strength. They can run and are playing with a tremendous amount of confidence. They tackle well in the open field and they've got a good defensive football team.
Dykes had the following to say about the defense--which turned in a relatively strong performance, all things considered--and our issues with tackling in particular.
I thought we started to tackle better later in the game but it's been a problem for us all year. It's something that we haven't been good at. We just didn't do a very good job of making those open field tackles, particularly early in the game. I thought defensively we played well enough at times to give us a chance to win. There's obviously a lot of ways for us to get better, but I thought defensively those guys improved.
Track and Field
- Tiarra Pittman and Ciara Jones used skills learned from the Bears that Care program to help students trapped in the elevators of Evans Hall during the campus-wide blackout. Why were they in Evans? For office hours, of course.
Men's Water Polo
- At the SoCal Invite, no. 5 Cal defeated UCSD in the first round, but lost to the vile no. 4 Stanfurd
- The Golden Bears continue their undefeated streak with a tie against USC, but will have to defend it against UCLA today
- With Campbell Johnson's loss in the doubles quarterfinals of the Tiburon Challenger, all Golden Bears have been eliminated from the event
- Johnson and Andre Goransson are in the singles semifinals of the Battle in the Bay Classic
- Cal picked up six wins in the Battle in the Bay Classic and six more in the UCSB Classic
- Cal experienced mixed success at the Saint Mary's Invitational with Cecilia Estlander losing in the Red Singles main draw, but Kelly Chui winning in the back draw
- I know the question on everyone's mind has been how does the team pass their time in Coach Gottlieb's basement!
— Kai Felton (@coachkai) October 13, 2013
- Max Homa made his professional debut at the Frys.com Open. How well do you think that little chip performed?
Men's Swimming and Diving
Women's Swimming and Diving
- Camille Cheng and Sophia Batchelor won the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard backstroke (respectively) at the Bulldog Invitational
- Coverage of the game against the Bruins from the AP, SFGate, and video from ESPN
- Some statistical notes about our performance against UCLA
- SFGate has some more quotes from the press conference
- Videos of the press conference featuring Dykes, QB Jared Goff, LB Hardy Nickerson Jr., and WR (slash TB?) Richard Rodgers
- Bank of the West highlights from the game
- Your Scholar-Athletes of the Week are WR Jack Austin and LS/DT Bradley Northnagel
- CGB reader LABear took a look at the number of season-ending injuries per team (prior to this Saturday's slate of games) and discovered what we already knew--Cal is the most injured team and by a wide margin