Much of the focus of today's press conference was on the WSU game, which will pit student vs. teacher and Bear Raid vs. Air Raid. Don't worry--you'll be able to read all of the conversation thanks to our intrepid reporter on the scene! Sonny Dykes spoke about the role of the defense in winning this game.
re: stopping AirRaid "AirRaid is built on simplicity & execution, not (scheme) ... just have to play good fundamental football"— GoldenBlogs (@GoldenBlogs) October 1, 2013
The specific defensive position groups that Dykes discussed were the secondary and the defensive line.
re: young DBs - theyre getting better but experienced, Willis Lapite Walker Drew were all on field at same time at one point vs Oregon— GoldenBlogs (@GoldenBlogs) October 1, 2013
re: DL "surprised we havent been as productive ... but we havent been putting (opponents) in 3rd & longs, where alot of sacks come from"— GoldenBlogs (@GoldenBlogs) October 1, 2013
With the offense of WSU's Mike Leach on display, Dykes gave his thoughts on the status of the Air Raid.
re: WSU no-huddle & Halliday - Leach runs no-huddle but not tempo, QB is a gunslinger & has improved, can tell WSU O is in their 2nd year— GoldenBlogs (@GoldenBlogs) October 1, 2013
- Join in the celebration of National Championships Week, honoring our accomplishments in rugby, women's crew, men's golf, and swimming and diving! Go Bears!
- The Bears remain undefeated while shutting out USF and a few interesting stats about Cal's great play this year
- Cal dominated the Jack Nicklaus Invitational with a 19-stroke win and individual honors for Brandon Hagy
- An interview with Lindsay Gottlieb, who's preparing to follow-up on the Bears' record-breaking season
Women's Swimming and Diving
- For all the times you've thought to yourself, "gee golly, I really wish I could have a delicious meal cooked by a Calympian while helping the next wave of Cal swimmers," Natalie Coughlin is helping those wishes come true as a prize for a Cal fundraiser
- Look for a familiar face on the sidelines of the WSU game:
— Eric Williams (@eric_d_williams) September 30, 2013
- The Dykes era is breaking records! For opponent scoring...
- After a 1-3 start, drowning at Oregon, and the loss of DE Chris McCain, the Bears must regroup
- ESPN previews the Bear Raid vs. Air Raid contest
- Uncle Ted declares: we're not the worst team in the Pac-12!
- Hunter Hewitt opens up the mailbag to discuss McCain, injuries, firing Buh midseason, and the prospect of a two-quarterback system
- Cal-UCLA will kickoff at 7:30 p.m. PT!
- Beast Mode has run wild again, this time stomping all over the Texans (video autoplays)