Mar 31, 2012; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Hoi Shun Stephanie Au smiles after finishing second in the women's 100 meter backstroke during the championship final at the Indianapolis Grand Prix at the Indiana University Natatorium. Mandatory Credit: Brian Spurlock-US PRESSWIRE
Today's post about a fantastic Golden Bear is brought to you by LeonPowe.
Stephanie Au Hoishun (歐鎧淳) is another in the long line of Hong Kong national swim team members who are attending Cal and swimming for Hong Kong in the Olympics. The sophomore backstroke specialist had previously swam at the 2008 Beijing Olympics as a high schooler.
Let's take a quick look at Stephanie's Cal and Hong Kong accomplishments:
• Earned honorable mention All-America honors by placing ninth in the 200-yard backstroke (1:53.33) at the 2011 NCAA Championships...that time ranked her fourth fastest in Cal history.
• Posted a time of 53.45 in the 100-back preliminaries at 2011 NCAAs...that time ranked her 10th fastest at Cal.
• Took second in the 200 back at the 2011 Pac-10 Championships with a time of 1:54.96.
• Competed in the 200-, 400- and 800-meter freestyles.
• Was a Hong Kong teammate of former Bears Hannah Wilson and Sherry Tsai.
• At 16, was the youngest member of Hong Kong's Olympic team in Beijing.
OTHER INTERNATIONAL SUCCESS
• Holds Hong Kong long-course records in the 200- (2:00.85 set in Beijing 2008), 400- (4:13.81) and 800-meter (8:41.66 set in Beijing 2008) freestyles.
• Along with former Bears Hannah Wilson and Sherry Tsai (and Hang Yu Sze), set her nation's 400-meter freestyle relay record (4:03.07) at the 2009 East Asian Games.
Here's Stephanie talking about the upcoming 2012 Olympics and meeting up with other Cal teammates (former and current) in London:
And then another video interview with Stephanie at the 2009 Asian Youth Games where she took the bronze in the 400m freestyle (although the interviewer seems a little . . .bored)
Go Bears and Go Hong Kong! Good luck in London Stephanie!