Yes, I know we Golden Bears are a nontraditional football fans. Our internal meme channels enough bad history that "Doom" is the unheard response to "Go Bears." I get that. But with the new stadium opening up (who would have thought that when Joe Kapp was unzipping his pants), we have a unique opportunity to make some more changes. We can make some concrete changes that turns Memorial Stadium into a House of Horrors for opponents.
1. Fans show up and fill the stadium prior to kickoff. Nothing is more depressing than seeing ABC do a wide shot of Memorial, and there are huge pockets of empty seat. Yeah, I know folks are on their way. Yeah, I know the line at Top Dog is long. But get there on time. All you have to do is look at Virginia Tech and their fans before a game, where Enter Sandman amps the crowd, you get atmosphere that energizes players. The last time I felt that? The game against Tennessee (rock and roll!). Why can't we have that atmosphere at each game?
2. Something other than card stunts. Yeah, I know we invented them, but half the time they're indecipherable, and even when they ARE, I honestly don't care. Let's do something else. Something. Anything. ANYTHING.
3. Current music. Play hip-hop. The fans (other than the big money alums, and if you own a home, you're a big money alum to a student) are students. Play the music they like. Play it often. It gets them hyped.
4. Something we all can do together. Wisconsin has the House of Pain "jump" for the beginning of the 4th quarter, and it's all kinds of awesome. We need something. I always thought that we needed Dr. Dre & Tupac's "California" to be played at some point. We are...California.
5. New uniforms. I'm bored by them. Seriously.
That's about it. Go Bears!