Sorry, Nick, but your protege is coming for you! You'll always be my vote for 2000 Heisman, though!
Well, then! There was a moment there, where Jacksonville Jaguars fans thought that their world had gone upside down. When the Jaguars selected punter Bryan Anger in the 3rd round, the fans thought they had been dropped into Rand McNally. It is where people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers take a bite out of you!
But, in reality, exclamation points weren't living with question marks and the attractive force between two bodies remained proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Live was, as it always ways, the same. But the Jaguars just had a better kicking game all of a sudden!
We've been watching Bryan Anger develop into the punting superstud that he is today. So, while somewhat surprising, it was not outlandish that some team, desperate for a great field position weapon, would jump all over him. The Jaguars fans were, initially, apoplectic. 40% of their initial vote gave the pick a big fat F. But I hope that their views change as Anger booms punt after crushing punt!
To find out more about Bryan Anger and his future with the Jags, we are talking with the SBN Jaguars site, Big Cat Country. Alfie Crow is our man on the scene delivering all the Anger news you need to know. Their answers after the jump. GO BEARS!
1. Have your fans heard that their favorite team, the Jacksonville Jaguars, drafted a punter in the 3rd round? Has anybody alerted them to this fact?
They have and I have alerted them. It's been a mixed back of Darth Vader NOOOOOOOOOOO's and massive confusion. There have been some fans that like the fact the Jaguars drafted a "starter" with their third-round pick, but personally I'm not even sure what a punter has to do to earn a third-round grade.
2. A punter? In the 3rd round? Have you seen any other signs of the apocalypse? Men wearing hats on their feet? Hamburgers taking a bite out of you?
My beer drank me.
3. Seriously, though, how weird is it that the last great Cal punter (Nick Harris) has to go mano a puntamano with our new kickstud, Bryan Anger?
It's especially weird, since Anger apparently worked with Nick Harris leading up to the draft. I hope he doesn't harbor any anger when Anger takes his job.
4. There isn't any way on earth that Nick Harris sticks with the Jags, is there? This is Anger's job 100%, right?
For a third-round pick it damn well better be.
5. How solid was Jacksonville's coverage last year? Will every second of his awesome hangtime be necessary to stop opposing punt returners?
The Jaguars punting game was terrible at first, thanks to greybeard Matt Turk. When Nick Harris came in it got to the point to where you didn't need to hold your breath for every punt.
6. How important is rugby-style punting in Jacksonville special teams?
It's actually very important, since that's what they've been doing for the past few years. It's a big reason Matt Turk sucked so much because he couldn't do it. Whole old dog new tricks thing.
7. Are your fans so upset merely because its a punter in the 3rd round or do they feel that Jacksonville special teams are fine and there is no need to really get a punter?
Most of the fans who were upset about it, including myself, is just the fact that it's a third-round pick for a punter. I think Anger is a great punter, but I'm not sure there is ever a situation where I would choose to pick one before the end of the fourth-round. Anger's only the fourth punter taken in the Top 100 in the last 20 years.
8. Hey, if you guys need another specialist, there's a senior kicker out of Cal who also has an awesome name and a solid leg . . .
We've got Josh Scobee. STAY AWAY FROM GENE SMITH.