Will Jorge make the CGB Hall Of Fame this year?
It's Springtime For CGB! What does that mean? The California Golden Blogs Hall Of Fame Tournament. This is an opportunity to nominate 5 new names, faces, and Cal legends to the CGB Hall Of Fame. It is a fun little tournament that we do here in the spring time. People always seem to love it, even though it can create controversy. Each year, it seems like there is a non-athlete who gets nominated, becomes popular, and sparks to victory. Two years ago, it was Glenn Seaborg, THE chemistiest chemist to ever chemist. Last year, Chancellor Chang-Lin Tien rampaged to victory. Will there be anybody this year?
That's up to you! This is all reader based. We take your nominations from this thread, sort them by recs, and organize them into a March Madness-style tournament (although there are no play in games here!). So, nominate everybody and anybody related to Cal athletics that you can think of in this thread. Then, rec to your hearts delight (for those a bit newer to SBNation sites, you can rec a comment by clicking on the actions button at the bottom of the individual comment and then selecting Rec). Then, vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote vote!!!
For those who want a look back,
Inaugural class of 2009: Mark Bingham (who received and deserved his own post of individual merit), Tony Gonzalez, Jack Clark, Jeff Tedford, Leon Powe, Zack Follett, Marshawn Lynch, Natalie Coughlin, Joe Roth, Jason Kidd and Chuck Muncie.
Here is our main page with all the info. Who will be the new names to join them this year? Make your nominations in the comments, but not before re-reading the guidelines after the jump. Thanks for participating and GO BEARS!
Guidelines are about the same as last year. Revisit the nominations thread from last year to get an idea of what we're looking for in terms of good nomination posts.
(1) In terms of athletes, seniors or past graduates only. Allan Crabbe and Keenan Allen will all get their turns in the future. In terms of coaches, five year cut-off.
2) Nominations only for people you've watched in person. We decided that all-time would just be a replication of Cal's Athletic Hall of Fame, and a little too museum-ish. We want this to be about how the readers feel about particular athletes, and how their experiences with them shaped their Cal fandom.
3) Obviously, football (and basketball) players will dominate this section, but we'd like to have as many athletes from the other sports as possible. We'd love to highlight Cal athletes who didn't get much of the limelight when they were playing here.
4) The bracket will be around 48 or 54. We did 64 the first year, but that was the first year. We're doing 48 or 54ish. Depends on how many credible noms we get.
5) We'll incorporate those comments in our writeups for the bracket matchups. If a player has already been mentioned, rec it again and reply to that comment thread and add your thoughts on that athlete, and we'll be sure to feature the best thoughts throughout.
You can nominate multiple athletes, but please use different posts. For why, see (6).
6) We will determine seeding by the number of recs a player gets in his nomination post in this thread.The more recs an athlete gets in the comments, the higher his seed will be. So if Nate Longshore gets 7 recs and no one else gets higher, he'll get the #1 overall seed. Of course, if Kevin Riley gets more recs than Nate Longshore, we'll still put Longshore first. BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE ROLL! If there are ties in the number of recs, we'll probably just go in alphabetical order, so rec your favorite athletes vicariously!
If we have less than 48), they'll all qualify for the tourney and we'll have some bye system in place. If we have more, we'll eliminate athletes with zero recs in some sort of fashion. We reserve all rights to seed as we see fit based upon the recommendations of you, the readers.
7) We will induct the Final Four and a wildcard. The wildcard possibilities will come from the twelve other qualifiers in the Sweet 16, i.e. anyone who qualifies for the second round but doesn't make the Final 4.
8) Please write explanations about why you're nominating Player X. They will be included in the official bracket matchup posts, as you can see by visiting the posts for last year's Hall of Fame nominees.
9) Oh yeah. Don't nominate people already in the Hall of Fame. Well, I mean, you can. But you're wasting your recs!!!
We'll announce the bracket soon. So, nominate, explain, and rec the best that Cal Athletics has had to offer over our lifetimes! GO BEARS!
And please stop requesting that the world renowned Meme Hall Of Fame continue. It's done. It had its run. Now, we have this Tournament. So, enjoy it!