In their final game at Haas, Jorge and Harper helped bring the Bears one step closer to a Pac-12 title. Here's what they had to say about the last home game of their careers (the link also includes video of their post-game comments).
Jorge Gutierrez, Sr. G
On senior day
"It was fun for me. Besides all of this and besides the stats, we got the win, and that's what really matters."
On his family's reaction and attendance
"I haven't talked to them yet, but they were impressed yesterday. I'm sure they feel honored. It was a great celebration for us and I'm sure for Harper's family, as well. We're very thankful for the chance the coaches and a lot of people gave me. Counting Harper's family, there were twenty-five people here. They were all on the same plane with Harper's family."
Harper Kamp, Sr. F
On senior day
"There was a lot of emotion coming into the game so I'm just really glad that we all focused. My teammates did a great job. We brought a lot of energy when we needed it. We did good, today, and got it out of the way and ended it on a good note, so now we can just focus on what's ahead of us."
On coming out of the game the final time
"I was still looking up at the clock and the game is never really over for me. I was coming out and I realized it was over. Coach game me a high five and I realized that was it. I was just honored to come out that way and it meant a lot. It was so much fun today."
After the jump rugby comes back from a six-point deficit to defeat UBC and the women's basketball team tightens its grip on second place in the Pac-12.
Tyler Walker (baseball), Shareef Abdur-Rahim (basketball), and others have taken advantage of Cal's degree-completion program for former athletes. Around 100 Bears have returned to finish their degrees in the six years since the program was introduced.
- Faraudo's game thread recaps the Bears' 77-63 win over Oregon State. Cal used a strong second half to overcome the pesky Beavers.
- Faraudo's recap for the local papers includes a photo gallery with a few shots of the giant Jorge head in the student section.
- The AP photo gallery seems to focus mostly on the Beavs.
- BearTerritory.net recaps the game.
- The women's team used a 13-0 run midway through the second half to build a lead that they maintained until the buzzer. The Bears won 75-68 and earned their 20th victory of the season.
- CalBears.com has a couple quotes from Coach Gottlieb's post-game press conference.
- Mark Purdy discusses the endless series of highlights in Monty's spectacular career.
- Cal scored the only try of the game and staged a late comeback to defeat UBC 13-12. The Bears take a one-point lead into game two of the World Cup at BC in March.
- The Bears opened the season with a 9-1 win over Pacific. Cal took the second game of the series with a 6-3 victory.
- BearTerritory.net was there to cover the Bears' first win of the year.
- Valerie Arioto made her case to defend her Pac-12 Player of the Week and USA softball national player of the week awards. She hit two home runs and pitched seven scoreless innings in a 2-0 win over DePaul. In the second day of the Louisville Slugger Classic, the Bears defeated San Jose State 7-0 and UC Riverside 10-0.
- The fourth-ranked Bears cruised to an 8-3 victory over no. 8 San Jose State. Cal is now 2-0 in MPSF conference play.
- The women's team had a six-stroke lead after the first day of the Peg Barnard Invitational at Stanford Golf Course.
- The men's team tied a record with three regular-season victories after winning the John A. Burns Intercollegiate.