Los Angeles is Bear Territory once again. The men's team secured its first sweep over both LA schools since the 1958-1959 season. A large part of the Bears' success yesterday was the play of Justin Cobbs.
"It's huge," point guard Justin Cobbs said. "We came in and swept the L.A. schools. It's hard to win on the road in this conference, even though people say the conference is down."
With the Bruins focusing their defensive efforts on Allen Crabbe, Cobbs came up big with one of his best games of the season. Like Crabbe an L.A. native playing in front of family and friends, Cobbs had 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting, dished off five assists and had a steal.
"He was under control and obviously he made shots and gave us an extra dimension," Montgomery said. "Justin did a really nice job of shooting some jump shots, and he found Allen late (for an assist)."
After the jump the women's basketball team loses a heartbreaker after an unbelievable shot to force overtime, Lavelle Hawkins signs a contract extension, and softball starts the season off with a bang.
- Lavelle Hawkins signed a contract extension with the Tennessee Titans.
- Marshawn Lynch and current Cal swim coach Terri McKeever will participate in the groundbreaking ceremonies this week for the Pac-12 Network's headquarters in San Francisco.
- The men's team used a 15-2 run in the second half to pull away to a 73-63 win over UCLA.
- Faraudo's usual game thread was lacking its usual, exceptional detail. It nonetheless recaps both halves of the game.
- The Bears' win over UCLA gave them a season sweep of the LA schools, their first since the 1958-59 season.
- Faraudo recaps the game for the Oakland Tribune.
- Players and coaches from both sides spoke at the post-game press conference.
- With three defenders in her face, Layshia Clarendon sent the game to overtime by making a three as time expired. This was the start of an 10-0 Cal run but USC outscored the Bears 6-0 in the final minute to steal a 76-75 victory.
- It was obviously a tough loss and, as Lindsay Gottlieb mentioned at the post-game press conference, the Bears suffered due to some costly offensive rebounds USC secured and the fact that two of Cal's point guards fouled out during regulation.
- JO (yes, he's back!) recaps the women's loss to USC.
- The Bears opened the season with a 10-4 win over no. 9/14 Tennessee.
- Cal shut out Bradley 5-0 to earn their second win of the year.
- Cal's dominance continued with a 10-0 mercy win over Texas State.
- With a three-shot lead after the third round, Charlie Wi inches closer to becoming the first Cal alum to win on the PGA tour.
Track and Field
- Chelsea Reilly set a new Cal record for the 3000m while Linda Oseso broke the women's weight throw record.
- Deborah Maier shattered the 5k school record with a time of 15 minutes, 29.14 seconds.
Swimming and Diving
- The top-ranked women's team was upset by no. 8 Stanford.
- CalBears.com has a Q & A with sophomore Cindy Tran.