The team held its end-of-year banquet on Sunday (which must have felt odd without a head coach or half the assistant coaches). Here's a look at the awards handed out.
Joe Roth Award (Player best exemplifying courage, attitude and sportsmanship)
Stub Allison Award (Most Inspirational Player)
Ken Cotton Award (Most Courageous Player)
Offense - Ross Bostock
Defense - Robert Mullins
Frank Schlessinger Coaches Award (Player who demonstrates outstanding athletic ability, academic success and community service)
Andy Smith Award (Player with most Big "C" time)
Everett Merriman Award (Player demonstrating a commitment to community service)
Student Trainer of the Year
Student Manager of the Year
Senior Lifter of the Year
Freshman Lifter of the Year
J. Scott Duncan Award (Most Valuable Special Teams Player)
Berkeley Breakfast Club Award (Outstanding Player in the Big Game)
Offense - Chris Harper
Defense - Marc Anthony
Most Improved Player
Most Valuable Back
Offense - C.J. Anderson
Defense - Steve Williams
Cort Majors Team Captain AwardsBear Backers MVP Awards (voted on by team)
Offense - Keenan Allen and Brian Schwenke
Defense - Josh Hill and Robert Mullins
Offense - Isi Sofele
Defense - Steve Williams
Maynard should have earned something for being the most beaten up QB of the Tedford era. A trophy shaped like crutches, a medal whose ribbon is made from gauze, a crystal bowl of ice packs--something of that nature.
- Sonny Dykes may or may not be a leading candidate for the head coaching gig.
- Faraudo keeps pushing the "Dykes possibly to Cal" rumors despite no further developments.
- Is Cal still interested in Sonny Dykes? Faraudo says yes!
- It's Monday: that means Faraudo has another Sonny Dykes story.
- Although NIU's Dave Doeren joined the NC State Wolfpack, he may have been approached by Cal.
- Well respected ACC writer says Sandy was in Chicago this weekend to interview Darrell Hazell, Bob Diaco, and Michigan State's Pat Narduzzi.
- Gary Andersen said he will remain the coach at Utah State.
- Ron Gould and the assistants talk about recruiting in the wake of Tedford's dismissal.
- The women's team set a school record with 66 rebounds in a 63-47 win over Old Dominion.
- Coach Gottlieb said it wasn't a perfect game but praised her players' toughness and resolve.
- Cold shooting in the first half doomed the Bears against no. 4 Duke.
- Gottlieb talks about what went wrong during the post-game press conference.
- The men's team lost 81-56 to Wisconsin. For once I'm not disappointed the CalBears.com copy-pasted the three-sentence AP recap.
- Monty expressed his disappointment during the post-game press conference. He said he was not surprised with the result after the Bears' performance during practice.
- Cal alum and LA Galaxy goalie Josh Saunders propelled his team to a 3-1 victory for the MLS Cup. The lone goal was scored by Saunders' former Cal teammate Calen Carr.
- Cal finished 4-2 at the USA Rugby 7s National Championships. The Bears finished third behind Arkansas State and Life.
- For the second consecutive season the Bears lost to North Carolina in the opener of the NCAA tournament.
- Elizabeth Pelton broke the school and American records for the 200-yard backstroke. The Bears finished second overall behind the host Georgia.
- Elizabeth Pelton was named the Muscle Milk Student Athlete of the Week.
- The third-ranked men's team won the 2012 Georgia Fall Invitational.