In his first press conference as an Aggie, Ron Gould talks about how his opportunity at Cal and coaching philosophy have prepared him well to lead UC Davis.
Ron Gould spoke to the press after being named the new head coach of UC Davis. His coaching philosophy at Cal will carry over to his new position.
Describe your coaching philosophy and/or style?
"My coaching philosophy is to create an environment where each and every student-athlete can optimize their full potential in the classroom, in the community and on the field. We accomplish this together through trust, accountability, structure, discipline and hard work. My coaching style is very animated. I coach with a lot of energy and passion. I am a teacher and a perfectionist. I am a good listener and am not afraid to make tough decisions. Consistency is the key with me. My mantra is 'say what you mean and mean what you say.' "
What strengths in the Aggie program do you hope to carry on?How has your experience at Cal prepared you for this opportunity?
"I will carry on and embrace the ideal of Aggie Pride that is so entrenched in the tradition here at UC Davis. My program will maintain academic integrity at all times consistent with the culture and expectations of the campus. We will continue to play hard and compete to the very end. UC Davis has had three great coaches in the last (nearly) 45 years - Bob Biggs, Bob Foster and Jim Sochor. I want to lead a program that makes them proud."
"My experience at Cal has helped prepare me for this position in so many ways. In my 16 years at Cal, I have been fortunate enough to work with two different head coaches, several coordinators and many assistant coaches, all with different philosophies, styles and strengths. I was part of one of the most significant rebuilding processes in the country and was able to observe some of the best teachers, recruiters and communicators in the business. I interacted with some of the most innovative football minds on both sides of the ball. My recruiting relationships that have been established in the high schools across the state are strong and will benefit me greatly at UC Davis. In addition, my experience recruiting within UC academic standards and expectations will be advantageous in terms of identifying the right fit for UC Davis."
- Ron Gould signed a 5-year deal with a base salary of $235k. Jahvid Best was in attendance at Gould's press conference.
- Cal was this week's biggest mover in ESPN's RecruitingNation class rankings. Cal climbed 12 spots to 26th overall. The Bears are 5th in the conference behind USC (2), Washington (18), UCLA (20), and Oregon (23).
- Phil Steele rates the Bears' schedule as the 5th-toughest in the nation this past season.
- Sonny Dykes' weekend recruiting haul was rounded out with a commitment from OL Erik Bunte.
- Wisonsin's Andy Buh has accepted an offer to become Cal's DC. Randy Stewart will be his DB coach.
- Are you all aboard the Sonny Delight bandwagon? 2013 season ticket renewals are now available.
- The women's team earned a tough road victory over Northwestern.
- Lindsay Gottlieb says it was a great experience for her team to play in a rowdy environment.
- Ricky Kreklow talks about coming back from his foot injury and playing through the pain.