With two five-star defensive players and one four-star receiver, Cal's 2012 recruiting class is making the jump from excellent to elite. Let's take a look at why these guys decided to join the Bears.
When asked about Cal's stellar class, with earlier commitments today from Oaks Christian receiver Jordan Payton and Monrovia defensive end Ellis McCarthy, Thompson said: "We just always feel really comfortable there, and we're gonna change the game."
Thompson's decision was a popular one with his family, including Denver Bronco safety Syd Thompson, his brother.
"Oh man, it's a good fit for him," said Syd Thompson. "The Bear family was always good to me, both while I was there and after and I'll make sure they're good to him, too.
Like Thompson, McCarthy also wants to get Cal to that next level. Tosh appears to have played a big role in getting the five-star DT to join the Bears.
"I'm gonna pick Cal," said McCarthy as he put on his Cal hat. " I just really like Coach Tosh. I like the program a lot, and he's really teaching me a lot. I've built a relationship with him and the team."
And when asked what he hoped to accomplish at Cal: "Probably just go in and try to get a BCS bowl or a Rose Bowl, and just help my team out," said the always-understated McCarthy.
"Overall, I feel the best there," Payton said. "It's like a family for me. It's like talking to one of my parents. They're good guys.
"I know all of the players up there. They all welcomed me. Overall, it's just the best place for me. It's not too far from home, but far enough away to where I can kind of do my own thing. Everything's just...it's just the right school. Academics - which is what I'm about - it's perfect
After the jump Aaron Rodgers continues to be awesome and the women's basketball team almost had more rebounds than points allowed in a big win over Oregon.
- Aaron Rodgers was named as a a first-team member of the Associated Press 2011 NFL All-Pro-team.
- BearTerritory.net has more from McCarthy, including some of his practice film from the US Army All-American Bowl.
- Faraudo recaps the big day for Cal recruiting.
- The Bears put up 90 on the Ducks in a 23-point victory to earn the weekend sweep at home.
- Quotes and video from the post-game press conference. Lindsay Gottlieb was pleased with the effort, particularly with the Bears' unbelievable 63-26 rebounding edge over Oregon. Cal turned 28 offensive rebounds into 29 second-chance points (Oregon had 1 second-chance point).
- On Friday Mike Montgomery looked back at "what could have been" in the men's loss to Oregon State.
- Brandon Smith sustained a concussion against Oregon State. He will almost certainly miss today's game.