Golden Nuggets: Is the Pac-12's NCAA Tournament Stock Rising or Falling?

Pac-12 basketball isn't as bad as we think it is, right? Depending on who you ask, the conference could yield anywhere from one to four teams in the NCAA Tournament.

  • Lunardi's latest bracketology is somewhat encouraging. While Cal drops to an 11 seed and Stanford drops to a 9 seed, Colorado makes its first appearance and comes in as a 14. Arizona, meanwhile, is among the first four out.
  • In his latest Rundown article, Lunardi gives Cal a 60% chance of earning a spot in the main bracket and avoiding the First Four round in Dayton (which would give them a first-round bye). Arizona only has a 40% chance of earning an invitation while Colorado climbs into contention with a 20% shot of getting into the tourney. Oregon State was considered, but they'll have to notch a few upsets to earn a legitimate shot. Stanford was not mentioned and is assumed to be a lock for the tourney (at least, in Lunardi's eyes).
  • Jon Wilner brings to light the league's dismal RPI as another knock against its hopes of sending multiple teams to the big dance.

Action: Stanford and Cal basketball teams split the Oregon roadtrip.
Reaction I: Sure, it could have been worse for both. But the problem with playing in a conference as dreadful as the Pac-12 is that every loss becomes a stain on the resume. Even road losses are debilitating. For example, Cal loss (at Oregon State) came the same floor where Idaho won by 14.
Reaction II: The NCAA Tournament prospects are bleak for both teams based on a variety of factors that include bad losses, lack of quality wins and the Pac-12′s poor standing. Cal’s RPI is a respectable 38th, but it will be difficult to maintain because half the teams in the conference have triple-digit RPIs. (Stanford is 75th in the NCAA’s latest ratings.) Each week, the Pac-12 inches closer to becoming a one-bid league

After the jump Cal's recruiting class climbs into the top-10, Jahvid Best recovers from his latest concussion, and men's basketball wraps up the weekend with a win over the Ducks.

Football

Basketball
X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

Join California Golden Blogs

You must be a member of California Golden Blogs to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at California Golden Blogs. You should read them.

Join California Golden Blogs

You must be a member of California Golden Blogs to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at California Golden Blogs. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9341_tracker