This spring the offense has not progressed as much as many of us would like. Ron Gould recognizes that the running backs especially are not at the level they need to be. With more practice, a pair of newcomers this fall, and several players returning from injury, the unit's issues should lessen this fall.
On the progress of the backs in spring camp:
"We have a good group of guys and a lot guys need more reps. We don’t have a reps during the day for all those guys. We have to improve every day. The light bulb will come on a little bit later than others. We’ve been fortunate in the past to have guys come in who are talented but also mentally able to adapt to everything we are throwing at them. Right now, it’s just taking a little bit longer. It’s not a big deal at all. We just have to keep working. We’re not where we need to be."
On playing at a higher level:
"There is a level of expectation that we have here and right now we’re not at that level. They understand that. The key is just to continue to work. Let the game come to you. Make sure that you understand what’s going on."
On Trajuan Briggs:
"Trajuan Briggs came in and was hurt all last year. It’s taking some time for him to get acclimated to what we do at Cal. That’s been tough."
On Dasarte Yarnway:
"We are anticipating getting Dasarte back and be ready by training camp. He has tremendous balance, great skill level for a big guy and he’s light on his feet. The biggest thing is getting him used to contact and get caught up that way. But he’s done a fabulous job of staying in tune with what’s going on and I’m proud of him."
After the jump Lindsay Gottlieb re-joins Cal as a head coach, ESPN continues to mock the draft, and Daily Cal hands out its best of spring awards.
Daily Cal hands out its best of spring awards. Winners include Nathan Adrian, Allen Crabbe, and baseball's reinstatement.
- Paul Kuharsky of ESPN predicts Cameron Jordan will head south the San Diego as the 18th pick.
- ESPN's DraftTracker gives Shane Vereen a rating of 67, good for 11th among RBs and 111th overall.
- Todd McShay breaks down the running backs in the draft. Vereen is in the top three in vision/patience (3), receiving skills (2), and pass protection (3). Overall McShay gives Vereen a rating of 74, good for 9th overall among RBs.
- Lindsay Gottlieb has been hired to coach the women's team. The team's three recruits have all reaffirmed their commitment to Cal despite the coaching change.
- Gottlieb and Sandy Barbour's statements indicate a high level of excitement over this hire.
- Down 8-0, the Bears rally fell short and they lost to Stanford 9-5.