Aaron Rodgers' coaches and teammates have no shortage of fond memories of his time at Cal. Jeff Tedford recalls the locker room scene before Cal took on the juggernaut that was the 2004 USC Trojans.
"Aaron didn't sit in front of his locker, all freaked out about it," Tedford said last week. "He was walking around with a smile on his face, patting people on the back and saying, 'Here we go, guys.'
"He was going on the biggest stage of his career, and he just had such great poise and confidence. I'll never forget the way he walked around that locker room, the way he made everyone feel at ease."
JJ Arrington thought Aaron would have been the sure #1 pick of the 2005 draft.
"People were asking me questions about Aaron and Alex Smith at the combine," said Arrington, who reached the Super Bowl with Arizona two years ago and now is out of the league trying to recover from knee surgery. "I thought it was a no-brainer. I don't know how the 49ers didn't pick him."
Though it took a few years before he could take on the role as starter, Rodgers is even better than his teammates remember.
"Somehow, he looks faster than he used to be," former Cal wide receiver Chase Lyman said. "We always used to make fun of him for not being very fast, but now he looks like he can really move. I don't know what they're feeding him up there in Green Bay."
Or, as Philip said, "I was watching one of the playoff games, and (television analyst) Troy Aikman was saying he's probably the next most-mobile quarterback after Michael Vick. I mean, Aaron and Michael Vick in the same sentence for running?"
After the jump Chico celebrates Rodgers' Super Bowl appearance, CJ Anderson commits to Cal, and former Bears account for two TDs at the Pro Bowl.
Dave Nickle, former Cal baseball player and representative of Save Cal Sports, is confident that baseball, men's and women's gymnastics, women's lacrosse and men's rugby have raised enough money to be reinstated.
- Both the NY Daily News and the NY Times have stories on Aaron Rodgers and his life growing up and playing football in Chico.
- Adored by the Chico locals after all these years, Aaron Rodgers will have a parade dedicated to him--win or lose--sometime this spring.
- Rodgers' dedication, humility, and laid back attitude have earned him the respect and friendship of his teammates.
- Ted Miller wraps up coverage of the Senior Bowl, where Cam Jordan improved his draft stock.
- Oregon at Cal came in at 5th in Ted Miller's best gameday atmospheres from last season.
- Cal picks up local recruit CJ Anderson. Our last RB out of Vallejo wasn't too bad, if I remember correctly...
- Both Alex Mack and Tony Gonzalez scored TDs in the Pro Bowl.