The football team handed out its annual end-of-year awards last week. This is usually a great opportunity to see who's doing well behind the scenes, whether on the scout team, in the weight room, or in the community.
Lifter of the Year
Schlessinger Coaches Award (Outstanding athletic ability, academic success and community service)
Berkeley Breakfast Club Award (Outstanding Player in Big Game)
Everett Merriman Award (Demonstrating commitment to community service)
And finally, the team MVP awards should not be too surprising.
After the jump Texas opens as 4-point favorites over the Bears, another offensive lineman commits to Cal, and rugby welcomes a freshman class of 17.
- Unless you have been living under a rock for the past two days, you probably heard that Cal will play Texas in the Holiday Bowl.
- Texas opened as four-point favorites over the Bears.
- CalSportsDigest has a first look at the Texas Longhorns.
- Wilner has a big list of the winners and losers from the bowl selection process.
- BYU's Jake Heaps intends to transfer and has listed Cal as one of his possible destinations.
- BearTerritory.net reviews the team's end-of-season awards.
- Offensive tackle Christian Okafor has committed to the Bears.
- Cal will not practice again until Friday. Holiday Bowl executive direction Bruce Binkowski said there was no way the bowl could pass on Texas.
- The women's team cruised to a 70-48 win over UNLV in the finale of the Cal Classic. Reshanda Gray was named MVP of the Cal Classic.
- Once again, Coach Gottlieb was pleased with the defense.
- The men's team lost 64-63 on the road against San Diego State.
- Monty said the team defended well down the stretch, but needed to secure more rebounds.
- The men's team finished second and the Georgia Fall Invitational.
- The women's team also finished second at the Georgia Fall Invitational.
- Caitlin Leverenz is this week's Muscle Milk Student Athlete of the Week.