Don't forget to submit a report card for Cal's performance against Utah!
After a month-long victory drought, the Bears brought the pain to Utah to earn our first conference victory of the season. Tedford praises Maynard, who bounced back from two weeks of mediocre play.
On QB Zach Maynard:
"He worked all four phases of the game today. I was very proud of the way he came out, performed and managed the game. Managing the game was a big emphasis going into today's game."
"He continues to grow through things. He is very receptive to coaching and very resilient to come back. He came in today and didn't turn over the football at all. I thought he was very smart with the ball and his decisions."
Trevor Guyton and the rest of the D-line have been even better than expected over the past couple weeks. Guyton talks about how the defense has progressed this season.
On the play of the defense:
"As a D-line we try to play like that every game, and the defense is finally clicking. We just want to keep doing it next week and the week after that and so on."
"We came out playing with the mentality that whoever it was, they weren't going to run the football up the middle. That's on the D-line. We do whatever we can to make sure they've got to bounce it out. That happened and then everybody else responded by not letting them run outside and not letting them pass the ball. When you do that, it's hard to lose games."
"It's on us. Whenever we're on the field it's on us to hold them to hold them to no yards or the least amount of yards possible and not let them score. It's definitely a relief when we get off the field and get some more rest. It's a morale booster for us when we see the offense moving the ball and getting into the end zone. When they play well, we play well."
After the jump we have more from the Bears' win over Utah and volleyball earns a pair of sweeps in the desert.
- CalBears.com recaps the game and posts a photo gallery (though they accidentally label Michael Calvin as Zach Maynard).
- JO has some stats from the post-game press box. In case that's not enough, CalBears.com has more stats than you could ever need from yesterday's game.
- JO recaps the game. The locker room was very quiet pre-game and Tedford was not initially sure what to make of it. When Tedford noticed that the players were intensely focused to start the game, he was quite pleased.
- Crumpacker recaps the game for SFGate.
- Matt Summers-Gavin did an excellent job neutralizing Utah's stellar defensive end Derrick Shelby.
- On the other end of the ball, Aaron Tipoti is demonstrating why he surpassed Kendrick Payne as the starter a few weeks ago. His forced fumble was the second of his career.
- Zach Maynard earns one of Ted Miller's coveted helmet stickers.
- What did we learn in week 8? Maynard has the ability to become a consistent, reliable QB. Even more impressive is that he did it against one of the better defenses in the conference.