Update: it looks like the Tosh-to-Texas rumors (which have been on life support for a while now) can officially be declared dead. Texas has hired DT coach Bo Davis, and their only defensive coaching position available is defensive coordinator.
Use this thread to talk about tonight's Ohio State-Arkansas matchup.
Why should you watch the Sugar Bowl?
Because you want to see if the Big Televen will post another faceplant in a high profile game. Several Ohio State players have been suspended for five games next season, including starters Terrelle Pryor, DeVier Posey, and Dan Herron. In order to play in today's bowl, they had to promise to return next season. Assuming they all play, they should have an advantage over Arkansas. The Razorbacks have a strong offense led by Ryan Mallet, but their run defense has struggled at times. With the complexity of Ohio State's running game (they use I-formation, single back, zone read, and pistol), this matchup could decide the game. If Arkansas wants to stay competitive, Ryan Mallet's arm will have to put up enough points to outscore Ohio State's rush attack. Winner? Ohio State by a TD.
While you're waiting for the game to kick off, check out Alex Mack's culinary skills as he prepares a sushi dish for Scott Fujita in an episode of "Rollin' at the Rock."
Rollin' at the Rock with Scott Fujita featuring Alex Mack (via SushiRockOhio)
After the jump Cal loses the Pac-10 opener to Stanford, Shane Vereen declares for the NFL draft, Viliami "Tiny" Moala talks about his plans for the final month before signing day, and Wilner debates whether Cal's 2004 team is better than Stanford's 2010 team.
- Defensive backs coach Al Simmons has been released from his position.
- Although Moala (4*, DT) will make a verbal commitment this weekend, he still plans to visit Oregon and Oregon State before signing day. Cal is currently his top choice, in part because he wants to stay close to his family. Although he wanted to follow teammates James Sample, Puka Lopa, and Darryl Paulo, who all received offers from Oregon State, Moala said it is more important for him to stay close to his family.
- Though he was tempted to stay an extra year to help get the Bears back on track, Shane Vereen has decided to enter the NFL draft. He graduated last month and has little to prove by staying another year.
- Wilner debates whether Cal's 2004 squad is better than the 2010 Stanford team. He gives Cal an ever-so-slight edge over the Cardinal.
- 14 former Cal players will play in the NFL playoffs this year.
- Stanford's 72% field goal percentage in the second half helped pave the way for a 82-68 win over Cal.
- Not surprisingly, Monty and Harper Kamp cite poor defense as one of the key problems from Sunday's game.
- The women's team also lost to Stanford, who was coming off a victory that snapped UConn's historic winning streak.
- Joanne Boyle says her young team is still struggling to find its identity, an ongoing issue since early in non-conference play.