Despite playing an FCS opponent at home, Tedford and Cal are taking the No. 18 (FCS-ranking) EWU Eagles seriously. Tedford has a great example of what can go wrong should Cal overlook EWU: the tape of Appalachian St upsetting Michigan from 2007. Mike Tepper says
"They're not crummy players. In no way, shape or form does Cal look at them like they are not a good team. In the 10 minutes I've watched film of them, they play downhill, they play fast and they play hard. You can't overlook anybody. We're not overlooking them at all."
After the jump we have more comments about EWU, TV coverage info for Saturday's game against EWU, Cal press conference quotes, and more.
Continuing from the headlining story, Tedford emphasizes that regardless of opponent, it is up to Cal and Cal alone to lead itself to victory. If Cal does not play to its potential, bad things will happen.
"Our preparation has to be a lot about us and not so much who we play. We respect all of our opponents, so this is mainly about us. I think we're mature enough, and we've been down this road before and there's enough examples out there of when you're not ready to play, what can happen."
- After starting his first career game against a team few expected to defeat Cal, Kevin Riley knows how important it is that the Bears don't underestimate EWU. If EWU remains banned from the FCs postseason (for violations under WSU's Coach Wulff), their game this Saturday is their best chance of achieving something noteworthy this season. Here is a brief recap of EWU's last game, which they won 35-14. This Saturday's game will be televised on Comcast Sports Net California at 2:30pm with announcers Jim Kozimor, Mike Pawalski, and Christine Nubla. I'm not sure how we non-Bay Areans/Comcasters will watch the game, but if I'll let you know if I find anything. At worst, we'll have to watch it online.
- The Daily Cal's midweek notebook focuses on defense and kickers, but also has some injury updates. Cattouse (concussion) should be cleared in a day or two and Ladner's injury has been narrowed down to his patella (kneecap), but the severity remains unknown (though JO says he'll be out about three weeks). JO's Tuesday night report has press luncheon quotes from Kevin Riley, Devin Bishop, Jarred Price, Cameron Jordan, and Mychal Kendricks.
- Jahvid Best is fifth in Sports Illustrated's Heisman watch behind Colt McCoy, Tim Tebow, Dez Bryant, and Jonathan Dwyer. He's just ahead of Quizz Rodgers.
- The Blogpoll rankings have Cal at 7th with a standard deviation of 2.6.
- Fellow Cal blogger Ken Crawford reviews the new gameday shuttle service.
Housekeeping: You can sign up for CGB's pick 'em league anytime. Also, don't forget about Cal band's auction. Buy some unique memorabilia while simultaneously helping out the band. And if you downloaded the MD at Cal game from chicagoaubear please seed so that others can download it too. Internet etiquette suggests you achieve at least a 1.0 ratio. Thank you!