While you were enjoying your turtle soup with Tedford, Best, and company, several other Cal sports teams were in action too. Many of them were triumphant, and some posted victories as impressive (if not more so) as football's win.
For in-depth coverage of women's volleyball, I'll refer you to danzig's recent fanpost which has video of the entire match against Hawaii.
If you want more coverage of men's soccer, check out this fanpost written by BerkeleySportsBlog which previews the entire Pac-10.
After the jump we have coverage of women's volleyball, men and women's soccer, field hockey, water polo, and cross country. We also have a story on a basketball recruit who was more than pleased with his visit to Berkeley over the weekend.
- Cal basketball's power forward recruiting prospect James Johnson had a great time during his visit to Cal and said Cal is now "at the top of my list...very high." He still has visits to Virginia and Oklahoma or Arizona and will make his decision in about two weeks.
- After #19 St Louis upset #10 Cal women's volleyball in a 3-0 sweep, the Bears bounced back with a 5-set win over #4 Hawaii to bring a triumphant end to the Hawaiian Airlines Wahine Volleyball Classic .
- #8/7 Cal men's soccer opened the season with a 2-0 win against Georgetown on Friday. On Saturday last year's NCAA College Cup champion #1/8 Maryland took a 2-1 win over Cal in OT.
- After taking a 1-0 lead into halftime #14 Cal women's soccer exploded for three goals in under six minutes to take a 4-0 lead and held on to a 4-2 win over #25 Texas.
- Cal field hockey defeated Kent State 2-0 on Saturday morning, but suffered their first loss of the season in a match against Northeastern Sunday afternoon.
- #4 Men's water polo swept the Navy open. On Saturday they defeated Iona 26-1 and beat #12 Navy twice, 16-8 and 13-4. On Sunday, they improved to 23-0 in six years of competing in the Navy Open by crushing #18 Bucknell 20-5.
- Cal cross country successfully opened the season at the 17th annual San Francisco Invitational at Golden Gate Park. Both teams had great overall finishes as men took first and women took second.
Reminders: You can sign up for CGB's pick 'em league anytime. Also, don't forget about Cal band's auction. It's worthwhile to look around (and do some bidding) because they have some unique items. Your money will be well spent, as all profits go to the band.