EDIT: Breaking News--There's been announcements about the starting kickers. Yes, plural. Click after the jump and scroll down to find out who.
After 247 days of wandering through the deserts of the offseason, a lone HydroTechnician appears in the distance. That's right my friends, your thirst will soon be quenched. College football kicks off tomorrow! Come Saturday it will rain glorious touchdowns and 75+ yard punts and kickoffs that land in the endzone (right, Giorgio?). Today we look at some insights from Tedford at yesterday's media day as well as his change in philosophy on rankings, the challenges of studying for Maryland's defense, an informative Q+A exchange between Maryland and Cal beat writers, and more.
Don't forget to join the CGB pick 'em league! Spend five minutes each week making your picks and enjoy a lifetime of gloating if you finish higher than Twist.
Go vote in the CGB Hall of Fame Wild Card. It's a tight race between Joe Roth and Aaron Rodgers for the final spot in the Hall of Fame. Cal Band's has a wide variety of goodies up for auction. Check it out and remember that all profits go towards the band.
- Yesterday was the media luncheon for Cal and here is the full transcript of Tedford's quotes. He talks about changes in Maryland's defense, the health of various players, and his satisfaction with Riley and the receivers. Tedford talks about his change in philosophy on rankings, as he now embraces people's expectations of Cal instead of shielding his players from those external expectations.
- Cal's offensive line should get a good test on Saturday from Maryland's blitz-heavy defense. Because this is Don Brown's first year as Maryland's defensive coordinator studying his techniques with video has been challenging. If the Terp defense does prove to be strong, Anger will show off his improved punting skills (yes, he's even better).
- JO answers questions from the Washington Times on topics such as Riley, the O-line, defense, and, of course, Best. Similarly, Washington Times writer Patrick Stevens answers JO's questions on topics such as the inexperienced O-line, team speed, QB Chris Turner, and the time change.
- The writers for SBNation's Minnesota blog unanimously pick the Gophers to lose to Cal.
- If you're traveling to any games at Memorial Stadium this year, this overview of shuttles, buses, and so forth should be useful. With construction shutting down some parking lots, drivers are encouraged to pursue alternative methods of travel to Memorial.
- The Washington Post looks over some questions Cal had on offense. Despite blocking for the most explosive player in college football, Cal's O-line and fullbacks are just focused on executing their blocks well, no matter who is running.
- Cal tops The Orlando Sentinel's list of most underrated teams this season.
- Syd makes the list for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award for excellence on and off the field.
- Ted Miller looks at Pac-10 special teams. Cal ranks #1 in punting and #5 in kicking.
- Our good friend giantfan5 (aka HydroTechJr) has a picture of some of the new seats that will populate Memorial after renovations:
Jeff Tedford named true freshman Vince D’Amato as field goal kicker after practice tonight. Giorgio Tavecchio will continue to handle kickoffs.