First off, praise be to the SBNation Overlords for overhauling their old model and introducing a much more expansive platform.
Best is facing an old track competitor in EWU's running back Taiwan Jones.
When Eastern Washington tailback Taiwan Jones steps onto the field at Memorial Stadium this weekend, it won't be the first time and he and Jahvid Best have run against each other on Cal soil.
Best and Jones -- who hails from Antioch, Calif. -- were both high school track standouts at Salesian High and Deer Valley High, respectively. On May 27, 2007, they competed in the 100 and 200 meters in the North Coast Section Meet of Champions at Edwards Stadium.
Best took first place in both races, Jones second.
A week later, Best would win the 100-meter title at the CIF State Championships with a time of 10.31 seconds, while Jones would finish fourth in 10.58.
"I remember racing him in high school," Best said. "He's pretty fast."
Jones is silly fast on the field too, demonstrating his explosiveness by taking his first ever handoff 87 yards for a touchdown last week. This game is a homecoming game for Jones, whose team has no shortage of motivation to unseat a top-10 D-1A team.
After the jump we have more looks at EWU and its players, an interview with Taiwan Jones, Pac-10 score predictions, a battle between Cal's Italian Stallions, bowl game info, and a smattering of other information.
- In an interview with GoEags.com Jones talks about his transition to RB, his team's formidable offense, the postseason ban, and more. Jones' teammates free safety Kevin Hatch and receiver Aaron Boyce earned Big Sky player of the week awards for their performances last week. Look for them to have an impact in this Saturday's game. This is the last week for the Bears to prepare for the toughest stretch of the season: @MN, @OU, USC, @UCLA. Ted Miller picks a 50-10 win for the Bears, though scoring exactly 50 points seems like a challenge.
- Cal tops Jon Wilner's Pac-10 power rankings.
- In case you got lost in all the Pac-10 bowl shuffling over the season here is the most recent list of bowl arrangements. Here's more on the Navy/WAC agreement to appear in the Emerald Bowl.
- After being king of the Cal weight room Ernie Owusu shows his prowess on the field too.
- Cal's two Italian kickers Vince "Fat Tony" D'Amato and Giorgio "Cosimo de Medici" Tavecchio have a fun, friendly rivalry. Tavecchio's nerves got the best of him Saturday, but he vows to do better in gametime situations.
- Interested in seeing how some former Bears are doing in the pros? Check out this extensive post with updates on players like Mack, Follett, Bishop, Forsett, and more.