Greetings from the stratosphere somewhere near New York. My flight was a little turbulent passing over Memorial Stadium thanks to Anger's exospheric punts. Anyway, today is a big news day as the Bears began preparing for Maryland yesterday. We have stories about developments within the depth chart, a surprisingly comprehensive preview/ranking from the New York Times, and a look into the future for Maryland's players. [TwistNHook: "The future, Berkelium?"] Yes, the future.
- The New York Times' College Sports blog has a well researched, comprehensive, and very impressive preview of Cal, who lands at 9th in their rankings. It examines Bears lost to the NFL, new players to watch, breakdowns of positions, a prediction for how Cal will finish the season (BCS bowl), and best of all, a mention of California Golden Blogs!
- The depth chart is beginning to come together for receivers, the O-line, fullbacks, and some special teams positions. It will be a few days before kickers are sorted out. Members of the sixth-ranked offensive lineman recruiting class of 2007 are finally getting the chance to prove why they were so highly regarded.
- Cam Inmans story on why this may be "The Year" for Cal features plenty of quotes from the normally quiet Syd'Quan Thompson.
- The Daily Cal looks at freshman phenom Isi Sofele. The San Francisco Chronicle examines another physics-defying speedster, Jahvid Best.
- Maryland's players are preparing for Cal in innovative and surprising ways. This week they are preparing well for the day after the game as Coach Freidgen says they are tired, sore, and beaten up.
- SportingNews.com has its best of the Pac-10 awards featuring both the good (Kevin Riley has the best arm, Syd is the best in man-to-man coverage, Cal's D-line and LBs are the best, sprint draw to Best is the best play, and Tavecchio somehow beats Kai Forbath as the best kicker with the game on the line) and the bad (Oregon apparently has the best chance to upset USC).