Update: JO adds a few more details.
Cal coach Jeff Tedford said Best’s parents took him to their home in Vallejo. Tedford visited Best in the hospital late Saturday night and talked with him on the phone today. He said Best was groggy and tired Saturday night, partly because he had some pain medication. Tedford said Best was in good spirits Sunday.
Best update straight from the AP. I'm not sure if this is all Tedford had to say after practice, but I'll keep you updated with anything else I hear.
BERKELEY, Calif.(AP) -- California star tailback Jahvid Best has been released from the hospital and will miss at least one game after sustaining a concussion on a terrifying fall in the end zone.
Best spent the night at Highland General Hospital in Oakland for observation and tests after landing on the back of his head in the end zone and being briefly knocked unconscious in the Golden Bears' 31-14 loss to Oregon State on Saturday night.
The school says results from a CT scan and X-rays came back normal. Best will not play Saturday against Arizona. His status for future games will continue to be evaluated. This was the second straight week Best sustained a concussion.
After the jump I have Cal-Arizona tv info (Versus, 4pm), the early spread for this weekend's game (Az by 2), Tedford's postgame reaction, reactions from players to Best's injury, and more. Tomorrow I'll wrap up what was otherwise a decent weekend for Cal sports (great job volleyball!).
- Arizona at Cal will be on Versus at 4pm. Versus: the same network that brought us such classics as OSU at Cal 2007 and Cal at Stanford 2007. Versus and Cal don't mix well together. Prepare for the worst...
- Arizona is currently a two-point favorite over Cal.
- In the post-game press conference, Tedford said "We got outcoached today." He emphasized the inability to do anything on third down and OSU's great field position thanks to special teams.
- Rob Calonge recaps the game and has quotes about Best from several players.
- Gary Peterson describes the play leading to Best's injury like it's something out of a novel. It was a bizarre article. Example: "Now Best was unthinkably high. Too high. Worse yet, his feet were pointed at the coal black sky, his back parallel to the ground"
- JO has a summary of all the details of Best's concussion up to this morning as well as a recap of the game. In case you missed it, all preliminary tests came back negative. Daily Cal has all the same details.
- Cal's bowl situation is unclear. The Pac-10 is a mess right now and JO believes Cal needs at least one more win to ensure an invitation. Ted Miller predicts a Las Vegas Bowl for Cal. Schlabach and Feldman predict a Poinsettia Bowl for Cal against BYU and Utah, respectively.
- Former Cal basketball star Ryan Anderson will miss a week with an ankle injury. He had played very well in Orlando until he injured his ankle. Thankfully there was no tendon or ligament damage.