I wanted to bump this back up to the top. I've collected several questions from our CGB faithful for my upcoming discussion with former Cal kicker Tyler Frederickson. Fredrickson, as you might remember, saved his best effort for his senior campaign, kicking the game-winning field goals both during the 2003 OT win over USC, and the bowl game winning field goal with time running out to beat Virginia Tech.
Here are the questions I've compiled. Now that the USC game has come and gone, you might have more questions to add to the list. I'm going to keep accepting new questions until Thursday noon, so please add your comments below. Thanks!
1. Given our recent woes in the kicking game, how much of a temptation has it been for you to re-register as a student at Cal under a pseudonym, suit up, and get out on the field and nail some game-winning kicks? I suggest wearing one of those fake mustaches, too. You know, in case the NCAA gets suspicious.
2. Do you talk to any current Cal players? In specific, the kickers?
3. Do you still keep in touch with the former Cal players from your era?
4. What goes through your mind, generally, when you were about to do a kick?
5. What were you thinking during the winning kick in USC 2003?
6. What were you thinking during the winning kick in Insight Bowl 2003?
7. What first got you interested in kicking?
8. What was the kicking practice like?
9. What made you choose Cal over other available schools?
10. Ryan Longwell and Robbie Keen preceded you at Cal as dual purpose kickers (placekicking/kickoffs and punting). Why do you think we don’t see very many dual purpose kickers anymore?
11. What’s the biggest difference between kicking in practice and kicking in a game – is it more mental (pressure) or is it more the environment (fans, noise, other team, etc.)?
12. Were you ever the last man between a kick returner and the end zone? What went through your head then?
13. What is your favorite football memory from Cal? (I can’t imagine it would be anything other than USC 03, but might as well ask)
14. What did you like most about Cal outside of football?
15. Is the team clique-y off the field? Do all the kickers hang out together?
16. What was the best class you took at Cal and why?
17. Do you feel that academics are paid enough attention to by the team?
18. Do you/did you have any other friends who played football at the D1A level? How did their experiences relate to yours?
19. So we heard some female gave you a big french kiss after the USC game. Please tell us more details. What other odd/nice/bad things have people done to you because you were the Cal kicker?
20. What do you think of when an opposing coach calls a TO to ice you? Does it make you more nervous or does it make you more determined or does it not matter?